View Single Post
Old 01-31-2006, 10:44 AM   #723
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
And what precisely is wrong with that, even if he is? Politics is off-limits.
It's nice to see I'm getting somebody's goat. However, the joke was that conservatives on different sides of the pond don't want the same things or view these issues in the same way. Thus, the remark is inapplicable to anything and nonsensical (hence the alleged humor value). It was more of a trans-Atlantic joke than anything. Perhaps my meaning there was a too obscure, and I apologize for that (maybe if I'd used the word “Republican” instead it would have been clearer).

Quote:
Actually that was Socrates's word. You'll soon be hearing from his legal representative, Plato
I look forward to it. I'll promptly pass him the news that Lalaith first used it in the thread and that the word was common currency in fifth and fourth century Greece (well, maybe not “common currency” but still). His case won't hold water, even in front of an Athenian jury (even though I seriously doubt Plato would have any desire to argue his case in front of an Athenian jury).

Ummm…is anybody going to put us out of our misery before we start debating whether Hammurabi was a good king?