Thread: Deus ex Machina
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2003, 05:31 AM   #10
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

As I understand it, it was the Valar who booted Melky out into the Outer Void, and not Ilúvatar.

On a similar note, though, perhaps you are right if you are saying that the War of Wrath was an example. Although I am still not convinced that rescuing the good guys is the sole function of a Deus ex Machina, if this is in fact so, the War of Wrath is a prime example.

I agree that the use of this feature was not just Tolkien being stuck for ideas. He seems to be showing us that somewhere out there is a benevolent force that is always watching. The Eagles and the Valar do not interfere until the uttermost need, but they do not ultimately fail to protect the heroes.

JRRT paints a picture of a benevolent something out there that will not desert the world, or at least did not up until the end of the Third Age. Perhaps, sadly, when the Elves leave Middle-Earth, the Númenóreans diminish and vanish, and the Eagles stop talking and get a lot smaller, mankind has lost the right or the ability to enlist the help of this higher power.