Thread: Deus ex Machina
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2003, 05:11 AM   #1
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Deus ex Machina

I've come across a few references to the Eagles in particular as a Deus ex Machina. It's been 7 years (OMG!!) since I studied Classics in High School, and 9 (I'm so old!!) since I studied Shakespeare. I'm a little rusty on my definition, but I don't believe that the Eagles really qualify.

When they turn up at the Battle of Five Armies and at the Battle of the Morannon, the Eagles seem more like the good old Cavalry than anything else. True, they are the creatures of Manwë, and lend his approval to the side of the so-called Free Peoples, but they don't really do much in terms of the narration.

Christopher Tolkien, in War of the Jewels, points out that Mablung acts as a Deus ex Machina in the Tale of Turambar. He comes in at the end, with the "irrefutable truth" that Nienor had left Doriath, in effect sealing Túrin's fate (as Mablung admits). I have seen an allegation that this plot device is used several times in the Lord of the Rings (which goes to show that whoever wrote that doesn't understand the term, anyway), but I think this was just an attempted jibe at Tolkien more than anything useful.

What exactly is a Deus ex Machina? Do you think it is fair to place this label on the Eagles? Are there any other examples you can think of?