View Single Post
Old 04-24-2003, 05:36 PM   #12
Yavanna Kementari
Haunting Spirit

Yavanna Kementari has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I would like to shine a different light on this. If I may. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I think what Gandalf was saying about 'blood' wasn't actually about genetics, but about a sort of spirit.

Denethor and Faramir had a different sort of spirit more like the men of Westerness (the good ones of course). Boromir was tempted by the ring. Where as Denethor and Faramir hated what it had done in the past so badly that they wouldn't have taken it if they saw it laying in the road.

Tough Boromir was a good man his spirit was easily swayed were as the spirit of Westerness (the faithful anyway) was not so easily swayed. When Sauron tried to corrupt them and evil kings reigned they were true to the Elves and Valar.

So IMHO I think that may be what the Professor is saying. Just a notion. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

~(~<~> Yavanna
p.s. I really liked Faramir in the books as well, but sadly it didn't set him apart from Boromir which was Tolkien's clear intent: to make him different. I like Boromir too, in a different way. They are like the Sun and Moon, very different but still function as a light. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ April 24, 2003: Message edited by: Yavanna Kementari ]