View Single Post
Old 06-01-2002, 10:32 AM   #10
Tarthang
Wight

Tarthang has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ok, I went back to study that map some more, it doesn't look right. North and west plus more east-westward sound right. If you pay carefull attention to the section of Ered Luin from the third age, you'll notice shadows of where another map was overlaid and the ranges don't match up evenly. Also looking at the map, it would appear that the Anduin did not flow into the sea, which I believe is wrong.

A point to consider: Beleriand was no more by the third age. Though the Silm does mention mountain tops and a few other high places remained above water as small isles.
Also in the third age the sea's had bent with Numenor's destruction. I interpret that to mean the world was flat and then became a globe.

If Iweren't at work right now, I could cross reference the maps in the Silm with the Maps in the LOTR. Personally I think the Beleriand map needs to be moved northwards so that the bottom part of both Ered Luin ranges match up, or close to.

Just remembered, one of the maps in the Silm does show Eriador, to it's wester edge in the Misty mtns. if I'm remembering correctly.
Tarthang is offline   Reply With Quote