View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 05:53 PM   #6
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Now I'm taking the thread 'far over misty mountains old' from where it began, but I just had to compare 'eavesdropping' passage with my Russian translation (Muraviev, Kistakovsky) and found that it is very finely handled:

Sam tells Gandalf that he was being trimming the grass. Gandalf inquires if Sam was eavesdropping, with the verb 'podslushivat' (literally - 'to listen under'), and Sam answers that the grass need not be specially dried, but will dry out by itself, with the verb 'podsushivat' (literally 'to make dry bit by bit').

Quote:
Так, так, клянусь бородой! - сказал Гэндальф. - Сэм Скромби, он самый! Под окном, значит?
- Да что вы, сударь, что вы, господин Гэндальф! - горячо возразил Сэм. - Под каким окном! Я тут просто полол и подстригал траву: видите? - Он показал в свое оправдание садовые ножницы.
- Вижу, - мрачно отозвался Гэндальф. - А вот щелкать твои ножницы давно что-то перестали. Подслушивал?
- Подсушивал, сударь? Да нет, зачем же, все и так подсохло.
- Ты дурака-то не валяй! Что ты слышал и зачем подслушивал? - глаза Гэндальфа сверкнули и брови ощетинились.

Now thread started with an example of erring translation, and I provided you with neatly done one. To retain the balance, let me tell you that same translation contains many other blunders which one day I may bother my and your selves with listing of

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote