View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 11:26 AM   #154
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Lindir speaks of the Diviner....

Lindir watched in silence as Endamir and Lómwë disappeared through the gate and made their way into the courtyard. With a shake of his head, Lindir sighed, fidgeting nervously with his hands as he stared down at the ground. He looked up to steal a furtive glance at Orëmir. “Perhaps I should have said something. In truth, I do not know where the Diviner may be found, not now or in ages past. You can no more pin down the Diviner to a place or time than you can pin down the wild wind from the north.”

“If truth be told, part of me hopes the Diviner may never be found for sometimes the cure can be worse than the illness. Only once have I been alone with this Elf and that was no easy thing. A true soothsayer whose eyes are like burning brands and whose somber gaze touches a chord deep inside….. The one time, the one time, I came before…..”

Lindir’s voice broke and he shuddered involuntarily. For a long time, it seemed that the Elf would refuse to say anything more. But then he looked up as if struggling to explain something to himself. “I do not want to look into those eyes again. You see, the Diviner has a gift. When that gaze fixes upon you, it strips away the layers of pretense. You must face whatever lies inside. It is no easy thing. Do not be misled by what has been said. This is no buffoon or jokester as some have claimed. And as to Maedhros laughing….there are many times an Elf may laugh when he feels the night approaching. And do not think, Orëmir, that I will be the only one to feel the Diviner’s gaze for she will look into the hearts of all those who come before her….”

“She? Her? But Malris said….” Orëmir spoke quietly.

“To the outside world the Diviner appeared to be a male Elf, and that is how she wished those in court to think of her. But what lay under the robes was different. When she touched my mind, I knew her to be a woman. As to whether Malris knows this fact, I do not know with certainty. But it would not surprise me if he knew a great deal more than what he is telling us.”

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 11-18-2005 at 02:49 AM.