View Single Post
Old 10-30-2005, 04:31 PM   #260
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Lol, nicely put, Anguiriel

To address your point, Folwren...ah, now, I was thinking about this just now as I'm writing another post which will give a brief-ish description of Rakin's quarters.

On the first page, there is a description of the corsair ships - 'behemoths' they are described as, i.e. pretty darn impressive, size-wise. However, to keep my ship nice and nifty in the water, we decided on something a little smaller - See, originally we decided upon the xebec as the model for the Fame and Fortune - which is, technically, quite a small ship, or so it was described as being; on the other hand, however, the description did say that it can be crewed by about two hundred. Now, I have no such aspirations to a crew of that size - too many to split the pickings among, even if Rakin would get a lion's share - and rather had ideas of a crew of, say, fifty to seventy. Seems a fair enough estimation of crew size? Include Sangalazin and Azaryan in that number. Plus the slaves - shall we say eighty to one hundred of them? And yes, I am aware it is risky to have more slaves than there are corsairs aboard the ship, but then, we have weapons, they have planks of wood. (However...) This still gives us a fairly hefty number aboard the ship, but not quite the two hundred that was estimated, allowing dear Sangalazin room to stretch his claws out and get comfortable. it isn't the 'behemoth' that is described on Pio/Perky's section on corsair ships on page one of this thread, but we aren't stretching the boundaries too much, as our xebec roughly follows the description, but is slightly smaller.

However...well, you said that maybe the corsair ships were galleys, but I don't suppose this is technically true if we are sticking with the xebec design. But the xebec...well, come on, it's pretty darn snazzy, and I like it. So I propose that we could maybe...stretch it slightly. Give us three levels rather than two? It would allow us the extra space, but I don't think it would slow the ship down or dramatically alter the ship's design, allowing us our sleekness and speed still.

Was that at all clear? If so, what do others think, stretch the ship a bit? It isn't a dramatic difference, but it allows us that extra space that has apparently been alluded to in corsair posts. Although as for the everyday shiphands - well, maybe not quite 'nineteen to a bunk' as Anguiriel phrased it, but they probably ain't gonna be quite so comfortable. And the slaves - well, couldn't have phrased it better myself, my dear

Last edited by Amanaduial the archer; 10-30-2005 at 04:35 PM.