View Single Post
Old 02-15-2003, 11:41 AM   #29
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Mari,

I don't recall that about hobbit marriages. In HoMe, Tolkien says that hobbits keep their engagements secret and often run off to elope. He does allude to the possibilty of a "ceremony" but doesn't say anything about who officiates or the form it

JRRT once toyed with the idea of having Bilbo disappear from the Shire by eloping (at a younger age than 111!), with the subsequent birth of a son.

BTW, when I read the Luthien/Beren scene, I immediately had the same impression as Lush, but I set that impression within the context which Mark12_30 sets forward, the exchange of private vows before Eru. My impression is that, Man or not, Beren would have gone to extraordinary lengths to please the one whom he loved, and would have respected her traditions.

By the same token, I agree with Marigold that folk took their promises very seriously in Middle-earth. Even among the hobbits, divorce or remarriage was said to be virtually unknown.

If Beren pledged his life and love to Luthien, I think he would see that as forever binding. For this reason, I don't think we can equate the modern incidence of premarital sex (whether you think it's a 'bad' thing or not) with what happened between these two characters. The context and usual intention is totally different.

sharon

[ February 15, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]