View Single Post
Old 10-17-2005, 01:22 PM   #9
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm with SpM on this one too. Though I can see that option D, that it was the only 'right' way for the story to end, is also quite a decent choice. I do happen to think that having Gollum trip and fall with the Ring was quite perfect. Gollum could not have functioned without the Ring; as shown in his pursuit of Frodo, he had become virtaully single minded on getting it. What if he had not got the Ring but had seen Frodo chuck it in? I'm sure Gollum would have either jumped in after it or else murdered Frodo there and then in anger.

As I've said so many times before, I love Gollum, he's one of my favourite characters in any book, but he simply could not go on after the Ring was unmade. What's more, he gains a kind of redemption by acting as he did.

He would never have jumped in with the Ring wilfully; he'd have put it on and the Nazgul would have been after him and all hell would have been let loose.