View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 04:49 PM   #31
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
I'm not sure I can explain, but I'm thinking of intuition such as is found in animals. For example, my dog can understand what's going on, but not my exact words. She knows we're going to drive in the car, but though she hears when I mention the goal, she does not know what the words mean. This is not precisely the same thing, but I hope it illustrates the general idea.
Yes, I think I understand what you mean and I agree. The Ring knew they were travelling, ofcourse, but it didn't know where they were going. The Ring doesn't listen, see or smell like Frodo and Sam do, but it does pick up things. I think they may be emotions, because than the Ring would feel mostly hopelessness and determination, and this may explain why the Ring was so content with Frodo. He had no hope, was walking in Mordor, and was only a small hobbit. I think the Ring knew Sam was with him, for Sam had worn it, but it didn't know his emotions.

Quote:
All this "thinking" comes from the part of Sauron that was placed in the Ring at its beginning.
Yes, indeed, and this also explains why the Ring didn't even think about Frodo and Sam trying to destroy it. Gandalf says in LotR that (I don't have the exact quote) 'Sauron doesn't know, nor guess that they wish to destroy the Ring, because he wouldn't do it himself. He would claim the Ring and be Lord. And therein lies their only hope.'
Because the Ring is 'a part of Sauron' it wouldn't think about being destroyed, if we take Gandalf's words as true. Than, if it isn't going to be destroyed, why does it travel in Mordor? Because it is being returned to it's master, by the little Hobbit without hope, but with this one determination.
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote