View Single Post
Old 09-16-2005, 03:09 AM   #6
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
this might be better discussed in the field of cormallen chapter discussion, but I've always thought Pippin DID die, and was brought back to life through the 'Grace of the Valar' because of his great deeds. I have this view because of Gimli's line to him on the field of Cormallen
Quote:
I love you, if only because of the pains you have cost me, which I shall never forget. Nor shall I forget finding you on the hill of the last battle. But for Gimli the Dwarf you would have been lost then. But at least I know now the look of a hobbit's foot, though it be all that can be seen under a heap of bodies. And when I heaved that great carcase off you, I made sure you were dead.
Now, I suppose we could put this down to a mistake by the dwarf, but why would Tolkien write it like this? Why wouldn't he say 'I thought you were dead' for example - Anyway, may resurrect this when the Cormallen chapter comes up, but raised it here as Pippin died at this point. I remember first reading Pippin's demise as a young teenager in my bedroom at home late one night, and falling to sleep balling my eyes out......
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote