View Single Post
Old 09-11-2005, 12:09 PM   #60
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethberry
Every community creates its own identity.
The idea of communities and how they form fascinates me, but even more interesting are the 'rules' which are then created. We do have unwritten rules here, such as accepted ways of writing posts (and there are several), how to approach the issue of someone is basing an argument on incorrect information etc. We also get to know one another, and learn when it is acceptable to have a joke about another member and when they will not tolerate it. For myself, it was a gradual learning process; I was cagey at first and then gradually eased myself into the 'Downs culture. Others pick up the culture much more quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgwbs
Non-conforming doesn't automatically make them good, though. I don't think our lack of normalcy makes us any better than people who all, for example, avidly follow Big Brother. It just makes us different.
Everyone has their obsession, even the so-called 'normal' people have 'em, whether it be following footie or watching soaps. In fact, I'd worry if someone didn't have a passion for something other than themselves!

Now, about actually trying to be 'different' - it doesn't work in my opinion. You could decide you will follow a particular 'alternative' way of life or fashion but inevitably someone else will be following it too. And you could to all outward appearances be entirely 'ordinary' but have extraordinary interests. The best thing to do, in my opinion, is just to be yourself, as we only get one shot at life (unless you believe in reincarnation of course) so we may as well be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
There might be those who think that the study of Tolkien's works could encourage smoking...
If I was to quit (which will be an inevitable thing at some stage ) I'd have to quit reading about Hobbits for a while or I'd go spare reading about all that lovely pipeweed.