View Single Post
Old 09-09-2005, 07:28 AM   #7
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar

We own a dog.
. . . .

But, as you might well know, you don't own a cat.

The One Ring was a cat.
I think perhaps it is dog owners/ lovers who have this false notion of cats (although I freely admit I could be wrong, having been attacked and bitten several times by dogs as a child; and, no, they weren't rabid and neither am I).

Of course one does not 'own' a cat. Cats are neither slaves nor property nor material objects. Nor do cats get into power-tripping plays of dominance. Cats are not possessive in their love. They don't impose their will or demand attention and affection. They respect their owner's agency. They are as pure an example of unselfish, unbinding love as one can find.

Dogs, on the other hand, are into relationships of dominance and control, even if they appear to be the submissive partners. They, after all, often let their masters know when they want a walk. Yet it is the humans who are the ones who call 'stop' in the activities. This whole notion of 'training' reflects the deplorable and abysmal concept of hierarchy, dominance and control which is the very antithesis of real friendship and love.

I would be very tempted to say the Ring was a dog were I not so aware of how cruelly people have usurpt animals to serve human designs. Or perhaps a horse. Yes, that might possibly fit. Sauron cracking his whip to demand more speed, more distance, more extension of control. No wonder Rohan was so greatly at risk.