Thread: Misc. Questions
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2005, 12:49 AM   #47
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Speaking of red-heads, it seems that the twins Amrod and Amras were red-headed also.

Amras's mother name was Ambarussa - which means "russet-top" Amrod's mother name was Ambarto.

According to The History of Middle Earth, Vol. XII, The Peoples of Middle Earth, the twins may even have been identical. Below is an extended quotation which reveals Tolkien’s explanation for their names, which were originally Ambarto (which was then changed again to Umbarto and back again) and Ambarussa.

"These two names of [the] twins (i-Wenyn) were evidently meant to begin similarly. Ambarussa ‘top-russet’ must have referred to hair: the first and last of Nerdanel’s children had the reddish hair of her kin. Around the name Ambarto [> Umbarto] - which one might expect to begin with an element of the same sense at (Ambarussa) - much legend and discussion gathered. The most authentic seems to be thus:

The two twins were both red-haired. Nerdanel gave them both the name Ambarussa - for they were much alike and remained so while they lived. When Fëanor begged that their names should at least be different Nerdanel looked strange, and after a while said: ‘Then let one be called [Ambarto >] Umbarto, but which, time will decide.’

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote