Old 08-13-2005, 04:51 PM   #25
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Boots

SaucePan-
Quote:
As far as I am aware, there are no Downers in China or in any strongly Islamic countries. Is this because the book has little appeal in these cultural traditions, or is this largely a function of language barriers? Does the book have any appeal to Hindus, Buddhists (and I know that there are a few Downers who at least have an interest in Buddhism) or among the indigenous people of the Americas and Australasia? Or does its really only appeal to those of the European and/or Judaeo-Christian tradition?
I think we should look at Tolkien's letters.
Quote:
There are many theological themes underlying the narrative, the battle of good versus evil, the triumph of humility over pride, the activity of grace, Death and Immortality, Resurrection, Salvation, Repentance, Self-Sacrifice, Free Will, Humility, Justice, Fellowship, Authority and Healing. In it the great virtues of Mercy and Pity (shown by Bilbo and Frodo towards Gollum) win the day and the message from the Lord's Prayer "And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil" was very much on Tolkien's mind as Frodo struggled against the power of the One Ring (Letters, 181 and 191).
If you read this, I think you’ll see that the themes in Lord of the Rings aren't just of any great importance in Christianity, but also in many, if not all, religions. The basics in all religions are almost identical.( I have many examples, but I think I’ll leave it to you to figure out the resemblance between the world’s biggest religions. It really isn’t that difficult.)

So, even though Tolkien was catholic - and English- for that matter, I'm not surprised that the book appeals to members of other religions living in very different continents. I would only think it natural, since Lord of the Rings brings up the "basics" in Christianity. It is about good versus evil and more. It appeals to all of us, even though we have different beliefs. I actually find it a bit disturbing that one even can suggest that it wouldn’t appeal to people with different beliefs, because for me, there is such an obvious answer to it.

Perhaps there is a language barrier. But at the same time, perhaps people from non-English countries prefer to join Tolkien sites/froums in their own language. Or perhaps they don't feel like discussion books on the internet. Also, most people on the Barrowdowns are from England, USA, Australia & Europe. I guess it has something to do with the economical state in this world as well. Not a lot of people form the poor countries in Africa and Asia has the ability to be representative on this forum, due to, as I said, the economical situation. The Lord of the rings might not even be available certain territories, due to many reasons, something that has already mentioned. But it certainly doesn't mean that it wouldn't appeal to those people. I think it definitely would appeal to them, because they could relate too many of the themes in the book, as well as the atmosphere.

As for settings; wow. I'm amazed. What do we have books for? I certainly thought it was an excellent opportunity to create our own images and use our imagination.

Davem-
Quote:
For instance, I've grown up in an area parts of which are still reminiscent of the Shire - ''woods, fields, little rivers' - so I've been able to wander in places which strongly reminded me of the books, & I've encountered people very like the Hobbits. So I have that connection with the books that people living in a different landscape wouldn't have.
I guess I'm lucky because I have seen a few hills during my life time - and a couple of rivers too. That way I can "relate" to LoTR more...is that what you think? Seriously, I don't think those images is that hard to imagine on our own. We are homo sapiens, the creatures with the highest IQs on this Eearth - I think. Hills, rivers, fields - that's a piece of cake. And so, I would say that your argument about your stronger connections with the books because you have seen/grown up in a "look-alike-LoTR-Landscape", is groundless. There is no right or wrong way to interpret scenery, or a book, in my opinion. (But perhaps some of us find it easier to interpret it because of their knowledge about what the writer is describing.) And I guess we all can feel the strongest connections to the book even though we don't have the same background as you do. I guess we've all felt like wandering the Shire every now and then, not necessarily just because of the scenery, but because of what seems to be a "Shire-like atmosphere". I even think small objects and/or buildings can give us a few hints what it would be like to live in the Shire.

I swear I’ve been in Mordor. I have. I swear it.