View Single Post
Old 08-12-2005, 01:04 AM   #17
Alphaelin
Wight

Alphaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Ah, this is one of my favorite chapters, for so many reasons.

One of the things I've found interesting about this chapter is the way it manages to give the reader a sense of the family feelings of Theoden and his 'adopted children', Eomer and Eowyn. They are his own kin to start with, and Eomer is the next in line biologically, but there is a sense of sincere caring between the three of them. As Celuien points out, Eowyn is strongly motivated to take her stand against the Witch King out of love for Theoden. I agree that she is more motivated by that love than by her despair and her upbringing. Eomer's cry of "Death take us all!" after Eowyn is found dead (he thinks) on the battlefield is despairing, but I think it's despair rooted at least partially in shock and grief at having lost the very last members of his family -- one of whom he thought safe back in Rohan. And as he is dying, Theoden thinks of his place among his ancestors as well as the family he's leaving behind, specifically calling Eowyn "dearer than daughter".

Compare the feelings these three express in their words and actions to Denethor's treatment of Faramir!