View Single Post
Old 08-11-2005, 04:22 PM   #6
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesse has just left Hobbiton.
-- Just another page and a half to go y'all. Scary, isn't it? --

But even as Legolas spoke, and while the chatters were yet gazing upon this window, it was taken |away and hidden from their screen; and it seemed to them that in that moment they perceived a new thing, Disconnection, which they had not known before except in thought. But they had become enamoured of the beaty of the vision and engrossed in the unforlding of the IRC which came there to being, and their minds were filled with it; for the conversation was incomplete and the circles of arguement not full-wrought when the window was taken |away. And some have said that the window ceased ere the fulfilment of the Dominion of Teenyboppers and the fading of the Firstborn; wherefore, though the discussion is over all, the Channel Operators have not seen as with sight the Later Ages or the ending of IRC.

Then there was unrest among the chatters: but Barrow-Wight called to them, and said: "I know the desire of your mind that what ye have !seen should verily be, not only in your thought, but even as ye yourselves are, and yet other. Therefore I say: /join #barrowdowns! Let this channel Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Forum Imperishable, and it shall be on the minds of IRC, and IRC shall Be; and those of you that will may go down into it." And suddenly the chatters saw afar off light, as it were a cloud with a sometimes-living channel of flame; and they knew that this was no overly caffinated-induced vision only, but that Barrow-Wight had made a new thing: #barrowdowns, the chennel that is.

Thus it came to pass that of the chatters some abode still with Barrow-Wight beyond the confines of IRC; but others, and among them many of the greatest and most fair, took the leave of Barrow-Wight and descended into it. But this condition Barrow-Wight made, or it is the necessity of their love, that their @ should thenceforeward be contained and bounded in IRC, to be within it forever, until it is complete, so that they are its life and it is theirs. And therefore they are named the Channel Operators, the ones with the @ of #barrowdowns.

But when the Channel Operators entered into #barrowdowns they were at first astounded and at a loss, for it was as if naught was yet made which they had seen in the window, and all was but on point to begin and yet quiet, and it was empty. For the Great Discussion had been but the growth and florishing of thought in the timestampless rooms, and the window only a foreshowing; but now they had entered in at the beginning of the time stamp, and the Channel Operators perceived that the channel had been but foreshadowed and forethought, and they must achieve it. So began their great labours in wastes unmeasured and unexplored, and in ages uncoutred and forgotten, until in the sorcery.net server and in the midst of the vast chatrooms of IRC there came to be that hour and that place where was made the habitation of the Children of the 'Downs. And in this work the cheif part was taken by burrahobbit and Mithadan, and Legolas; but M31k0r too was there from the first, and he meddled in all that was done, turning it if he might to his own desires and purposes; and he kindled great topic. When therefore IRC was yet young and full of fired up newbies M31k0r coverted it, and he said to the other Channel Operators: "This shall be my own channel, and I name it unto myself! (#m31k0r14 or 'Melkoria')".

But burrahobbit was the brother of M31k0r in the mind of Barrow-Wight, and he was the cheif instrument of the second topic that Barrow-Wight had raised up against the discord of M31k0r; and he called unto himself many supporters both with greater and lesser vocabularies, and they came down into the channels of IRC and aided burrahobbit, lest M31k0r should hinder the fulfilment of their labour for ever, and #barrowdowns should wither ere it florished. And burrahobbit said unto M31k0r; "This #channel thou shalt not take for thene own, wrongfully, for many others have laboured here no less than thou." And there was strife between M31k0r and the other Channel Operators; and for that time M31k0r withdrew and departed to other channels and did there what he would; but he did not put the desire of the channel of #barrowdowns from his heart.

Last edited by Valesse; 08-11-2005 at 04:31 PM.
Valesse is offline   Reply With Quote