View Single Post
Old 08-10-2005, 01:54 PM   #15
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Random thoughts:

Quote:
Farewell, Master Holbytla!' he said. 'My body is broken. I go to my fathers. And even in their mighty company I shall not now be ashamed. I felled the black serpent. A grim morn, and a glad day, and a golden sunset!'
A reference to Rohirric beliefs here. The Rohirrim apparently are ancestor worshippers. Theoden will go to be with his ancestors, whose opinion & judgement on his actions is important to him. He has had standards to live up to which he feels he has finally lived up to. He has achieved the fame necessary to stand in their company. The interesting thing is that he seems to feel that his 'fathers' still 'live' in some form, in some other 'place'. Is this some place of their own invention? Have they picked up a belief in the Valar through their contact with Gondor, or is this a survival of older beliefs they brought south with them?

Quote:
For a moment the thought flitted through Merry's mind: 'Where is Gandalf? Is he not here? Could he not have saved the king and Eowyn?'
This is clearly the question uppermost in the reader's mind in this context. But it will not be answered till the next chapter. Merry's sense, though, is that Gandalf should have been there - almost as though he knew on some level that it was Gandalf''s task, in which he 'failed'. We also get the sense that Gandalf also felt he had 'failed'.

Quote:
And all eyes followed his gaze, and behold! upon the foremost ship a great standard broke, and the wind displayed it as she turned towards the Harlond. There flowered a White Tree, and that was for Gondor;, but Seven Stars were about it, and a high crown above it, the signs of Elendil that no lord had borne for years beyond count. And the stars flamed in the sunlight, for they were wrought of gems by Arwen daughter of Elrond; and the crown was bright in the morning, for it was wrought of mithril and gold.
So we see Arwen's banner unfurled. It is Aragorn's proclamation of his heritage & his claim to the Kingship. In a sense its a repetition of his earlier challenge to Eomer - I am Aragorn, son of Arathorn - will you aid me, or thwart me?'

Finally, this is the third chapter which culminates (or nearly does & if I'm right about the last 'paragraph' in the previous chapter actually being 'verse') in a poem made 'long after' the events of the chapter. There are two 'effects' of these 'later interpolations' - one, they emphasise that what we are reading is a 'compilation', a work put together by various hands over a long period, first by Bilbo/Frodo/Sam & afterwards translated & added to by others - notably Findegil the King's scribe - & in the last instance by Professor Tolkien (unless we count the translators of LotR who have followed Tolkien) two, they reveal for attentive readers that 'long after' the events we're reading about there would be song makers in Rohan still around to compose heroic elegies to the fallen.

I think this accounts for Eomer's sudden bursting into alliterative verse at his discovery of Theoden's body. In a sense, the events of this chapter are like the ending of the last one - we're not reading reportage here, but a heroic legend, probably originally set down in verse. How this fits in with the 'conceit' of the story being set down relatively soon afterwards by Frodo is a more difficult question. He would certainly have got the story from Merry, who was a knight of Rohan, & may have leant towards a 'print the legend' approach - who can say?
davem is offline   Reply With Quote