View Single Post
Old 08-18-2003, 10:37 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril The Symbolic Significance of Weather

One of the literary devices Tolkien uses to great effect in the LotR is the description of weather changes in connection with dramatic plot events. This topic may have been touched upon in passing, but there has been no discussion devoted to it so far. I’d like to share a few examples that occurred to me, then open up for more from all of you.

In “The Ride of the Rohirrim”, Ghân-buri-Ghân says:
Quote:
Drive away bad air and darkness with bright iron!
He places the weather in direct conjunction with the enemy, assuming that it can be changed by defeating Sauron. Then we read
Quote:
…suddenly he stood looking up like some startled woodland animal snuffling a strange air. A light came in his eyes.

‘Wind is changing!’ he cried…
Later Wídfara says:
Quote:
…to me also the air brings messages. Already the wind is turning. There comes a breath out of the South; there is a sea-tang in it, faint though it be. The morning will bring new things.
I can’t help but wonder, did the sea-breeze that heralded good things to the enemies of Sauron indicate help from the Valar? Manwë is surnamed Súlimo, “Lord of the Breath of Arda”. The warriors drew hope and courage from the change, even though it did not directly affect the battle.

The other occurrence that stands out in my mind is told in “The Steward and the King”. Éowyn and Faramir are standing upon the city walls, awaiting the outcome of the far-off battle.
Quote:
…it seemed to them as they stood upon the wall that the wind had died, and the light failed, and the Sun was bleared, and all sounds in the City or in the lands about were hushed: neither wind, nor voice, nor bird-call, nor rustle of leaf, nor their own breath could be heard; the very beating of their hearts was stilled. Time halted.
Then,
Quote:
…a great wind rose and blew… And the Shadow departed, and the Sun was unveiled, and light leaped forth… …and in all the houses of the City men sang for the joy that welled up in their hearts from what source they could not tell.
After that the Eagles brought news of the defeat of Sauron, but the weather actually plays a prophetic role in this passage!

As far as I can see, any mentions of the weather after the War of the Ring refer to good, sunny weather – with one exception!

When the hobbits approach Bree, it begins to rain. Granted, it’s late October, so that is quite appropriate to the season, but it is also symbolic of the bleak circumstances ahead of them. We read of the Shire:
Quote:
…the sky was grey. The land looked rather sad and forlorn…
After the Scouring, we hear that
Quote:
1420 in the Shire was a marvellous year. Not only was there wonderful sunshine and delicious rain, in due times and perfect measure, but there seemed something more: an air of richness and growth, and a gleam of a beauty beyond that of mortal summers…
Various weather elements that show up in LotR are light and darkness, cold and heat, sun, rain, wind, snow, fog and storm. Where have you found other examples of their connection with the story?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote