View Single Post
Old 08-07-2005, 06:48 PM   #1
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesse has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien the SilmIRC: Ainulindale

-- Most of the jokes in the following thread are with the barrowdowns IRC chatroom in mind. Members of the forum who do not partake in the chatroom are welcome to read (and are deeply envied ; )) though I'm not sure if a good few of the jokes will be clear/make any fraction of sense. --

This all started as some group idea gone wild, but in its many faults (and obvious ripping off..ness) it is formed from one great thought...

In short: Melkor made me do it.

There was Barrow-Wight, the One, who in #barrowdowns is called BW; and he made the first chatters. the Inquisitive Ones, that were the offspring of his desires to discuss, and they were with him before Balrog wings were even on the minds of Tolkien fanatics. And he chatted to them, propounding to them topics of interest; and they discussed before him, and he was glad. But for a long while they spoke only each alone, of but a few together, while the rest hearkened; for each comprehended only that part of the desire of Barrow-Wight from which he came and in the understanding of their fellow chatters their numbers grew but slowly. Yet ever as they discussed they came to deeper understanding, and increased in varied opinion and pant size.

And it came to pass that Barrow-Wight called together all the chatters and declared to them a mighty topic, unfolding to them things greater and more wonderful (in theory) than he had yet conferred; and the glory of its beginning and the splendour of its end amazed the chatters, so that they bowed before Barrow-Wight and were +m.

Then Barrow-Wight said to them: 'Of the subject that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make- in gutteral yammering sounds- together a Great Discussion. And since I have kindled you with the Forum Imperishable, ye shall show forth your communicating ablities in adorning themes, each with his own thoughts and feelings, if he will. But I will sit and idle, and be glad that through you great literature has been wakened into conversation.'

Then the +'s of the chatters, like unto 1337 and chat-speak, and h4x0r and teenybopper, and typos and AOLer, and like unto countless choirs of "fanboi"s tittering with words, began to fashion the discussion of Barrow-Wight to a great mass of text-noise; and a sound arose of endless interchanging "LOL"s woven in harmoney that passed beyond comprehending into the depths and into the heights, and places of the dwelling of the Barrow-Wight were filled to overflowing, and the discussion and the echo of chat went out into the Void, and it was not void. Never since have the chatters made any chat like to this discussion, though it has been said that a greater still shall be made before Barrow-Wight by the gaggle of chatters and the Children of the 'Downs after the end of IRC. Then the topics of Barrow-Wight shall be spoke aright, and take Being in the moment of their utterance, for all shall then understand fully his intent in their part, and each shall know the comprehension of each, and Barrow-Wight shall give to their thoughts the secret index, being well pleased.

But now Barrow-Wight sat and idled, and for a great while it seemed good to him, for in the banter there were no flaws. But as the theme progressed, it came into the heart of M31k0r to interweave matters of his own imaginging that were not in accord with the topic Barrow-Wight had designed; for he sought therein to increase the power and glory of the part of the teenyboppers. To M31k0r among the chatters had been given the greatest gifts of cheetos and knowledge, and he had a share in all the gifts of his fellows. He had gone often alone into the void places seeking the Imperishable Forum; for desire grew hot within him to bring into Being discussions of his own, and it seemed to him that Barrow-Wight too no thought for the Void, and he was impatient of its emptiness. Yet he found not the Forum, for it is with Barrow-Wight. But being alone he had begun to conceive thoughts of his own unlike those of his fellows.

Some of these thoughts he now wove into his posts, and stright-way discord arose about him, and many that spoke nigh him grew despondent, and their thoughts was disturbed and their subjects faltered; but some began to allude their opinions to his rather than to the thought which they had at first. Then the discord of M31k0r spread ever widers, and the threads which had been heard before foundered in a sea of turbulent ping? pong! But Barrow-Wight sat and idled until it seemed that about his swivel chair was a raginging storm, as of dark PM text boxes that made war with one upon another in an endless wrath that would not be assuaged.

Then Barrow-Wight /joined, and the chatters perceived that he put on his boot; and the lifted up his left pointer finger and wagled it at M31k0r, and a new topic began amid the storm, like and yet unlike the former thread, and it gathered power and had new beauty. But the discord of M31k0r rose in uproar and contended with it, and again there was a war of text-noise more bold than before, until many of the chatters were dismayed and posted no longer, and M31k0r had mastery. Then again Barrow-Wight arose, and the chatters perceived that his countenance was stern; and he lifted up his right hand, and behold! a third thread grew amid the confusion, and it was unlike the others. For it seemed at first cute and fun, a mere jest of gentle tittering in delicate puns; but it could not be quenched, and it took to itself power and profundity. And it seemed at last that there were two topics progressing at one time before the seat of Barrow-Wight, and they were utterly at variance. The one was deep and wide and beautiful, but slow and blended with an immeasurable research, from which its beauty cheifly came. The other had now achieved a unity of its own; but it was in all caps, and miss spelled, and endlessly repeating "A/S/L?" ; and it had little relevance, but rather a clamorous unison as of many fog horns braying upon few notes, and into loud speakers. And it essayed to drown the other music by the redundency of its drone, but it seemed that its most austantacious spams were taken by the other and woven into it's own insightful post.

In the midst of this strife, whereat the desk of Barrow-Wight shook and a net-split ran out into the net yet unsplit, Barrow-Wight arose a thrid time, and his @ was terrible to behold. Then he raised up both his hands, and in one post, deeper than the Peer, higher than the cost of car insurance, piercing as the colors [ctrl]k8 and [ctrl]k13 are together on the eyes of Barrow-Wight, the discussion ended.

Then Barrow-Wight spoke, and he typed: "Mighty are the chatters, and mightiest among them M31k0r; but that he may know, and all the chatters, that I am Barrow-Wight, those things that you have said, I will show them forth, that ye may now see what ye have done. And thou, M31k0r, shalt see that no topic may be openned that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the discussion in my despite. For he that attempteth this shall prove but mine boot polish in the devising of a conversation more wonderful, which he himself hath not imagined."

Then the chatters were afraid, and they did not yet comprehend that words that were said to them; and M31k0r was filled with shame, of which came secret ping! attacks. But Barrow-Wight arose in splendour, and he want forth from the fair forum that he had made for the chatters; and the chatters followed him.

But when they came to the Void, Barrow-Wight said to them: "Behold your chat!" And he showed to them a chatroom, giving to them relay chat where before there was only posting; and they saw a new IRC made before them, and it was globed amid the Void, and it was sustained therein, but was not of it. And as they looked and wondered this IRC began to unfold its history folder, and it seemed to them that it lived and grew. And when the chatters had gazed for a while and were +m, and Barrow-Wight said again: "Behold your chat! This is your banter; and each of you shall find, contained herein, amid the design that I set before you, all those things which it may seem that he himself devised or added. And thou, M31k0r, wilt discover all the secret thoughts of thy mind, and wilt percieve that they are but a part of the whole and tributary to its glory."

And many other things Barrow-Wight spoke to the chatters at that time, and because of their logs of his words, and the knowledge that each has of the previous points that he himself made, the chatters know much of Tolkien lore, and few subjects are unknown to them.

And so it was, the beginning of the #barrowdowns, called by the teenyboopers BD and by the men the 'Downs. And by join/parters "the go-between", and by the hobbits the "Anti-Smials"... and by the Ents it is call "Baalreum' Balarhoolore' rummble-bumble' hum' boo' Balliewooleywalley' Snap-Crackle-n-Pop!" even if there aren't any Ents there, currently. Or even the orkish-trollish people who just title it their old stomping grounds.... Whatever it's called that was it's beginning, and here's hoping I don't get sued for this!

Last edited by Valesse; 08-08-2005 at 02:45 PM. Reason: the creation of a helpful preface.
Valesse is offline   Reply With Quote