View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 11:40 AM   #33
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
How so?
Quote:
Thus was the fate of Túrin woven [...] with the fate of the Silmarils and of the Elves -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Silmarillion chapter 21
Etc.

Quote:
(Expecting a statement like 'You are amazingly and fundamentally wrong',made with no back up, to be accepted as part of a rational argument is a bit like me saying 'You are amazingly and fundamentally a horse.
But I am clearly not a horse.

Quote:
But if you walk East long enough you'll land in California, I surmise?
No, I would end up in the Atlantic Ocean, several thousand miles away from California.

Quote:
In a mighty assault Morgoth is defeated, but as his last effort at defending his stronghold, the band of Balrogs issues from the Iron Gate to challange the foremost party of the assailants lead by Fëanor. Ultimately, Balrogs are swept, but Fëanor is killed.
I'm thinking that Feanor would be so nice, though, that he couldn't even bear to kill an orc if he had to, so he just stayed in Aman with the ladies and the children. Pacifism, you know? Besides, somebody has to be in charge while all of the other leaders are out killing things.

I don't see how such an ardent pacifist (a decision which he is morally and spiritually free to make) could ever be killed by balrogs in the Hither Lands.