View Single Post
Old 07-11-2005, 09:19 AM   #37
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
Originally, the Elves were created to live in Middle-earth, just as Men were. There have been previous discussions on the decision of the Valar to bring them to the Undying Lands - was it unwise? If anything, I would say that Eru intended for them to remove to the Undying Lands after death. However, that is not the same thing as being "intended to live" there.
I am making my assumption based on the Valar summoning the Elves to the Undying Lands - they are asked to go there, and those who do not are portrayed as having less Light, as different. This to me implies that they are somewhat lower in status amongst Elves. In addition, they are expected to remain in the Undying Lands after death/rebirth:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoME X
The fea is single, and in the last impregnable. It cannot be brought to Mandos. It is summoned; and the summons proceeds from just authority, and is imperative; yet it may be refused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoME X
Indeed the refusal of the summons is in itself a taint.
I wonder, if it is seen as correct that a fea should return to the Undying Lands, then should it not also be seen as correct that the living Elf ought to live there too, or at least, that this is the place where they can flourish. Once reborn, Elves are not permitted to return to Middle earth, and Glorfindel is the only example I can think of who was permitted to do this after the change of the world, suggesting that even if they did want to return to Middle earth they may have been prevented from doing so. As I say, this is how I have come to my assumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethberry
If we consider the context of LotR and its attitude towards power, then I think we see that its is moral authority that is validated.
This 'power' that each character had, whether it was innate or learned/acquired, was used in different ways, but ultimately with the same results, i.e. both rejected that power. Luthien's power seems to be more innate, and what drives her to use it is love - is that selfish or self-less? Galadriel's power is enhanced, and she uses it strategically. We could also ask the same question about her use of power. That neither use it for committing evil deeds speaks volumes abut their characters; both of these characters could have put that power to use for immense personal gain. Instead, Luthien uses hers for the sake of Beren and Galadriel for the sake of Middle earth.

It might be interesting to compare Galadriel with Saruman, who also has great innate power, enhanced by his learning, but who does follow the temptation set before him, and ultimately his power is his downfall. Galadriel rejects the temptation - she shows the moral authority which Bethberry has noted.

So again, without drawing any conclusions on which character is the 'greatest' , it shows that both have even greater power as shown in that they can also reject their power when it is no longer needed.