View Single Post
Old 06-29-2005, 07:27 AM   #54
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
And one is free to inquire what is this eucatastrophe, this eternity, this aesthetic experience, and consider if it is the same place other Art leads us to. Can only Tolkien lead us there?
One can - if one wants. I'd say all true Art leads us to the same place, so not only Tolkien can lead us there. As to your point, I'd say that you can enquire into the nature of Eucatastrophe, Eternity, Aesthetic Experience till the cows come home but only the experience of those things has any real worth, & the danger of too much inquiry is that it can bring down the Tower & stop you ever seeing the Sea - or at least cause you to get so caught up in analysing the architecture that you forget to go up. Whatever, I think climbing up & looking out is more important than any amount of inquiry & analysis.

Quote:
I see no point in replying further if this is just going to degenerate into another Romantic diatribe against analysis.
Oh, you take me too seriously. I keep drawing you in to these discussions & you always end up going off in a huff (or if that's too soon a minute & a huff )

Remember, if you go away everyone will think I've won
davem is offline   Reply With Quote