Thread: Outrage?
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2005, 08:46 AM   #74
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I was going to refrain but I just HAVE to wedge in my thoughts.

Yes as you know I am a Christian and tend more toward the fundamental side, thought not as extremely so as many of those I know. However, fundamental, outside religious circles at least, is defined as that which is basic, original, or primary. Many people these days confuse Fundamentalism with legalism. Legalism is what makes some Christians (I'm not sure all legalists are Christians) have a "holier than thou" attitude of "since I act this way or dress this way or wear my hair this way or don't read this I'm better than you." Many liegalsitst are little more than Pharisees.

Now, I don't recall Tolkien or any of his cohorts ever labelling his fiction as "Fundamentally Christian" or even allegorical. In his own preface to LOTR Tolkien notes how he hates allegory and never intended to write it. I do see where he is coming from about Christian themes, however. Many Christians, even when not writing Christian works, cannot refrain from burying Christian themes in them. My own love of God Himself makes me write Christian themes into everything whether it is religious or not. Take Lewis' Space Trilogy as another example. It's not a story thick with allegory, if there's any in it its hard to see, but there is no doubt just who Maleledil is.

I know a good deal many Christians who LOVE LoTR. Heck, my dad, who is even more narow-minded than me, (it that's possible) was the one that introduced me to LOTR. I also know some who hate it and call it "pagan". And they are ones I would shove under the legalist class.

You are all right, magic is more subtle in LOTR and it is not used for everything as in HP. There are also no schools of magic. As Galadriel says "For this is what your folk would call Magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem also to use the same word for the deciets of the Enemy."
Magic in LOTR, if it can be called that, is used sparingly and only at great need, kind of like lembas. Many of those that use "magic" Gandalf, Galadriel, Elrond, other Elves are kind toward those who are weak and do not look down their noses at those who are inept in the magical arts. Saruman aside of course, who is in the end just a grumpy old man. Dumbledore is a magician and little else. Gandalf is angelic in every way, looks aside. When he's at the doors of m Moria it remids me of the Heavenly Messenger of the Divine Comedy who opens the gates of Dis the city of hell for Virgil and Dante.

I think why the Christans are so up in arms over HP is this: In LOTR you know from the beginning who is on the good guy side and who is on the bad guy side(exceptions: Saruman and Wormtongue, but Tolkien makes them suspect from the start). In HP people seem to arbitrarily switch sides. Also Children have easily influenced minds, I know I did, still do. HP makes magic seem so easy and discribes it is such a details that the incantations and other tools of it can be easily repeated and learned. People, especially Christians, fear that children will find all this easy to learn magic in HP cool and want to learn it, only to be led into witchcraft. And it is well documented in the Bible that God finds witchcraft among the most deadly abominations. The "magic" in LOTR is not like this. It is hardly used and when it is, it's secreats are not revealed. And the power of those like Gandalf seem more like the power of the angels themselves not magicians.

Oh and as for the comment that "At least Harry Potter celebrates Christmas" events in LOTR were supposed to have happened BEFORE Christmas was invented.

Last note. I have read the book of Revelation many times and there is only one dragon in it "behold a great, firey red dragon having seven heads and ten horns, and seven diadems on his heads." (Revelation 12:3) This is understood to be Satan. There is no "magic" in revelation. The only thing that comes remotely close is the power of God, His angels and His wrath, and the power of Satan and his demons.