View Single Post
Old 06-16-2005, 11:37 PM   #448
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

peony_foxburr has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peony_foxburr
White Tree *studies fingers carefully*

Depending upon what I've been weeding, their color might be anything from brown to yellow (sap from a Eurasian wildflower that wants to take over the world)...

Yes, my philosophy is also that of "let the toughest plants win." Well, to a point--otherwise I'd be raising ragweed and dandelions. But there's no point in fighting whatever soil type, light exposures, and climate you find yourself coping with. I will nourish the soil with composts and organic fertilizer, mulch it to retain moisture and reduce weed competition, and provide water when Nature hasn't given up that one inch of rain weekly we are told we can expect in New England summers. But any plants that need even minimal attention (such as deadheading, or watching out for insects in their seasons) are close to the house.

I also found that my interest in gardening didn't really show itself until I moved to a house where there WAS space enough to make a garden. So, you never know...
"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water."
-The Return of the King
peony_foxburr is offline   Reply With Quote