View Single Post
Old 06-06-2005, 02:59 AM   #24
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Endamir stood near Malris as the ship slipped from the quay and entered the widening waters of the Gulf of Lune. Protected by the surrounding lands, the gulf remained relatively calm; its waters buffered for the most part from the heavings of the sea. Still, for someone of a less seaworthy nature, even the small rolling waves of the gulf could send his stomach into a rather queasy state.

‘I have a confession to make,’ Endamir said, watching as Malris steered the ship into the middle channel, heading west. The black sail with its striking device snapped crisply in the breezes. ‘I have never liked sailing. No, say rather that sailing does not like me.’ He put his hand out onto a nearby railing to steady himself, taking a deep breath as he did so. ‘Always thought we should just have hastened northward overland in pursuit of the Dark Thief.’ He smiled grimly, remembering no voice in the matter had been given Fëanor’s followers. And perhaps, he thought, if there had been, the first of the kinslayings might have been averted . . . at least somewhat. ‘At any rate, I’m just letting you know that if you find me hugging the ship’s rail and gazing down at the ocean, it will not be that I have taken a sudden and intense interest in the workings of sea waters. It will be more likely that I am simply sharing whatever recent meal I have had with the welcoming waves.’

He looked up to where Orëmir stood with some of the other companions. His brother’s face held a faintly amused look of concern. ‘I suppose I ought to humble myself and ask him for some of his tincture for roiling stomachs, though it will come with an ‘And didn’t I just tell you this would happen addendum.’ Endamir smiled and waved at his brother. He focused back on Malris, finding it was easier if he kept his range of vision on nearby objects to minimize the perception of objects at a distance pitching up and down . . . and up and down . . . and . . .

‘How long do you think the voyage to Himling will take?’ he asked Malris, hoping he had succeeded in keeping the note of anticipated dread from his voice.