View Single Post
Old 06-02-2005, 06:32 AM   #18
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Innocence? Nothing we ever do can give us back our innocence. Pardon and redemption we may have, but never innocence. I - we - have seen, have done too much for that.

"I do not particularly agree with your reasoning, Malris," answered Lómwë unheatedly, "or even if I agree with the plan. Part of me woulds that we leave the past be past, and continue straight on to Valinor. But wait! I am not done yet," he said, seeing the look of disbelief and disappointment on Malris' face. "I do, however, believe that there may be some validity in your desire to return to Himring for a final visit. If for reasons other than you describe, I am willing to go with you, even desiring it myself.

"I think you put too much hope in such a journey. Blood is on our hands, you say, and it still will be what ever deeds we may do on Himring. Do not fool yourself into thinking we can return to innocence. Yet no matter the result, I think you to be right in saying that visiting the island is something we must do." Something I must do. Not to do a noble deed, not to earn some measure of redemption, but for myself.

The problem, Lómwë mused, was that all the five that Malris summoned have changed, yet Malris has not. He had noted with some doubt how Malris still wore the star of Meadhros, yet glanced askance at his own Galadhrim garb. Malris seemed still to think that the glory of the Elder Days was yet at hand, and did not seem to realize that sorrow, too, lies on the island. All he seems to see is the potential for a noble deed, for valour. He spoke of redemption, yet did he truly understand? For he also spoke of innocence like something to be gained.

Lómwë had come to the harbor expecting to accept the leadership of Malris, but now he was not so sure. For if the leader had not grown and changed as his followers had, what kind of leader was he to be?