View Single Post
Old 09-11-2001, 10:06 AM   #35
Sauron
Pile O'Bones

Sauron has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Newly Deceased
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Of Bombadillos and Balrogs

I believe that Balrogs had wings but I don't think it matters much. Hunter Two One, you mentioned just about everything I was going to say about why it did just fly out. Now I think it could fly but it also may not have flown. Look at the ostrich, it has wings but doesn't fly. I think that Tolkien wrote all things about the Balrog perfectly. I think he didn't really care if they had wings or not, I believe that Tolkien wanted us to draw our own conclusions about it. I mean come on, if each of us has our own idea about what the Balrog looks like it makes the books that much more personal.

As for Tom, I don't think Tolkien himself knew who he was. I am an aspiring writer and I understand where I am coming from on this. I write in something I have heard called free form. You write down your thoughts into a story which you have to make sure it all fits together. Some times when I write I don't really understand what I put down until I go back and re-read it. Writing like that allows you to learn everything that is going on along with the reader. Maybe this is what Tolkien did with Tom and it could be possible that he knows as much about Tom as the rest of us do.

</p>
Sauron is offline   Reply With Quote