View Single Post
Old 05-10-2005, 03:06 PM   #40
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
We all know what Tolkien thought of allegory. I find it interesting that at least two separate allegories have been forwarded about SWOM: (1) the town hall as parish church, and (2) autobiography on Tolkien and his son Christopher (this is not the first time I've heard of this). I wonder how many more plausible allegories could be developed? Legion, I bet. Not that they're not worth the time to think about (I've been reading canonicity lately but it'll be a while before I finish), but I doubt that Tolkien intended the story as allegory. I summation, interesting, but I wouldn't take it too far.

What's this about Smith actually being the king of faery?

I'm not sure I can lend even the faintest ray of light on the subject of what makes the Sil versus SWOM the more moving work for this or that reader. I, like davem, do find Pauline Baynes' art to be "of a piece" with the Tolkien stories she has illustrated. You should see the Middle Earth map she illustrated! I like Bethberry's comment on the nature of the painted arts versus drama which as Tolkien said requires a second suspension of disbelief.

My problem with the Sil is that it is (a collection of) the legends and mysteries in the deeps of time, revealed. I am moved by Finrod Felagund's death, by the tragedy of Maedhros, the doom of Turin, and so on. Come right down to it, I think the Sil is flawed by virtue of Christopher not being J.R.R. The work needed the father's hand, his prose, his poetry, his genius. But that's another thread altogether, I suppose. So I do give some credence to the notion that the son didn't get the star from Smith; it went to someone unlikely but suitable.

I'm going round in circles here, not landing on anything worthwhile.

:: LMP shuffles away to give all this more thought::
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote