Thread: Geeks?
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2005, 09:33 PM   #169
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė
I have to ask, what's an AP course? Is that something like studying a subject you don't have to study? Like doing extra lessons?
An AP course is like flagellantism: self-inflicted torment that everyone assures you is for the best in the long run.

Lathriel explained it rather well. Basically it is a college-level course, and at the end of the year you take a grueling 3-hour exam. A 3 or above (out of 5) will earn you 3 college credits, although some schools require a 4, or a 5, and certain sticklers won't take them at all.

I suppose they're right, though... I'll be graduating high school with 36 credits, and though not all schools will take them all, at some I can knock out virtually all liberal arts courses because of these credits.

In my school there are Regents Skills courses, which are the easiest, Regents courses, which most people take, and AP or SCALE courses, which get you college credits. They're a lot more work, but I think I'd be bored to tears in anything else. There actually are some cool courses you can take, though, like music theory and music history.

I've actually got my AP theory exam tomorrow, so I'd really better get to bed...
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote