View Single Post
Old 04-26-2005, 02:30 AM   #14
eowyntje
Animated Skeleton

eowyntje has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
But how big do you mean when you say a wolf on Steroids? If they were ridden at times they would need to be substantially larger than the average wolf. I would say at least a lion size but even still would that be sufficiently large to carry an orc into combat and be effective?
I think it depends on the kind of orcs that rode these wolfs, there are different kind of orcs of different sizes. Small races of orcs would be weak as infantry, but very usefull as wolfriders.
I couldn't find any information about what kind of orcs rode the wargs. Keeper of Dol Guldur mentioned that they were small, perhaps he knows.

As for fighting against wolfriders, that would not be easy. When defending a castle I don't tihnk wolves are a big thretah to stone walls, but in open fields (and I assume that is where Saruman used his wolfrides are that is where they would be most effective) they would be veyr hard to stop.
I think arrows and barred wire would indee dbe effetcive methods, anything that allows you to stay a few armlengths away from the wargs. Also, in the hobbit Bilbo and the dwarfs were followed by wolves and climbed in trees to escape them, so perhaps Archers on high places like in trees or watchtowers would be able to fight them.
Normal wolves are afraid of fire, so perhaps that would also be a way to fight or at leats scare the wargs. But it is very likely that demonic wolves like wargs are not afraid of fire.

Last edited by eowyntje; 04-26-2005 at 02:39 AM.
eowyntje is offline   Reply With Quote