View Single Post
Old 04-16-2005, 11:51 AM   #8
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė
It made me think, what is better? More Tolkien or the best Tolkien could offer?
On the one hand, living in a society like this one, where everything is published in serieses (is that even a word?) of ten or twelve or what have you, it would seem to be kind of obvious that 'More is better!' At least according to the publishers, anyway.

But the thing about publishing dozens of books, all in the same series, seems to me to draw it out unnecessarily and by the time we get to book five or six, we're wondering why the author won't just make an end already. (I think there's only one series where I haven't wondered that, and that's George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire.) Things like Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time and Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth serieses are all very well and good, but you have to wonder; would they be better if the authors had spent all the time that Tolkien did on LotR...

I have to say that 'the best Tolkien could offer' is a great deal better than it would be if he had lived now and succumbed to the pressure of printing book after book after book that only stretched out the story and didn't enrich it.

Endings are good.

(And that was awfully garbled and rambly. Your pardons all.)
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote