Thread: Best Fighter
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2005, 11:37 AM   #50
lord of dor-lomin
Wight

lord of dor-lomin has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Quote:
Stamina: Obviously Elves and Dwarves would last longer in a physical fight then men and wizards would.
In a battle (army vs. army), stamina is very important. Battles can last for days.

But in a one-on-one duel to the death. Ha!

A one on one duel would rarely last long enough for stamina to come into play. An evenly matched duel could be over in twenty seconds. Any weapons expert would tell you that. There are so many chances and openings to win and the action moves so fast. Duels in movies last way longer than real life duels, and even movie duels aren't very long if you think about it.

Toss stamina out. Any respectable warrior would have enough stamina to do a duel.
Quote:
Strength: What race is strongest, again, toss up between Elves and Dwarves.
Why would you say this? I thought that the men of Numenor were known for their size and strength. Turin was possibly the strongest being ever, and he was a man.
Quote:
Agility: Jeez, this isn't really leaving a lot of room for men is it?
I'd say that it's Dwarves that would come up short on agility. And I remember a quote in the Sil that said that Turin grew to be as agile as any elf, so it's not as if elves own this category.
Quote:
Elves and Dwarves would probably kick bum
Nope, I doubt it.
Quote:
I think that Gandalf wouldn't fare well in such a showdown if he couldn't use supernatural powers. Yes, he's a good fighter, he's lived a long time but he has the misfortune of being trapped in the body of a decaying man. Not good for a lasting opponent.
I don't think so. First, think of how physically imposing the balrog was. Second, think about how Gandalf fought him. Did Gandalf say "I put spells on him and shot him with magic!"? No, Gandalf said "I hewed him". He fought him with a sword. Gandalf may have looked old, but he had plenty of physical ability. I seem to remember Pippin noting his strength when Gandalf lifted Faramir out of the pyre as if he weighed nothing.
Quote:
then I wonder if her could take on Legolas? Or Gimli, or Elrond for that matter!
I imagine Aragorn would paste Gimli and beat down Legolas. Elrond- I wouldn't know. Aragorn's pretty awesome, but it'd really be tough to bet against big E.