View Single Post
Old 04-12-2005, 06:35 AM   #28
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Abarzadan could almost feel the shock run through the party. They had expected an easy journey, followed by hardship; but not this! Not the terror of being captured before they were close enough to do some good. At this point, they were just throwing their lives away. No one spoke. Something had to be done immediately, and the man decided to take action. If he failed, they were dead - if he succeeded, perhaps he could finally gain their trust. He eased his horse to the front of the group, and addressed the captain with eloquence and tact.

"Hail the King's men! My lord, we too serve your master loyally. One amongst our party is a prisoner, who commited crimes against the King. He has been entrusted to us to transport to his Majesty, to be tried and consequently... punished." The captain of the riders brooded for a moment. "Why were none of our scouts told to expect you?"

The man thought hard again. His answer had to be perfect. "My lord, our journey was supposed to be one of secrecy. We were, of course, told that all the appropriate authorities had been informed of our coming. Perhaps the messenger made a mistake and missed you."

"State your names, then." The captain's stare was one of cold steel.

Abarzadan wasn't sure whether or not to lie about this particular issue, but as no one else stepped in, he merely told the truth. "My name is Abarzadan; I am the leader of this patrol." The man went on and listed the other members, including the alleged 'prisoner.'

The forthcoming answer from the captain was less confrontational this time. "Ah... well, we are returning to the great city tonight as it is. Since there are other patrols like us out there, we shall ride with you so that your passage shall not be further molested." He watched Abarzadan's eyes, but they remained impassive.

"We would not want to interfere with your business; there are other criminals out there that need catching. Besides, there are those among of that are well trained. We can take care of ourselves." He glanced around, smiling casually, but then noticed something rather disturbing.

Thoronmir was gone.

Last edited by Himaran; 04-13-2005 at 07:17 AM.