View Single Post
Old 04-03-2005, 11:22 PM   #19
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Re:

I think Galadriel saw something in the mirror ...

Here's my thoughts on Galadriel.

She broke the Fellowship on purpose, because she realized that they could only succeed if they went their separate ways. This comes from a great deal of foresight, but is a lot more reckless than the plans of Gandalf or Elrond.

She tested each member of the Fellowship, and then planted a seed of mistrust in Frodo towards Boromir, who she perceived Frodo feared the most in their group.

Then, responding toward that suspicious lack of faith (Boromir had been saving Frodo and the gang from peril for months by that point and staying completely true to his word), Boromir got impatient. And since Galadriel tempted him with the thought of using the Ring of Power ... he lost control of himself.

Obviously the Ring played a part in that, a big part ... in tempting him, but had she not planted this seed of doubt, I think he'd have managed to keep in control.

In this way, Galadriel worked a lot like Saruman, manipulating the perceptions of the Fellowship.

But, she didn't do it for her own gain (well ... in a way she did) ... she did it because she realized that the Fellowship were having trouble deciding their path, and that Frodo had to go it alone ... Gollum following or not. I don't think she expected Sam to be brave enough to accompany Frodo, underestimating his simplicity.

She furthered this rift in the Fellowship with the gifts she gave them. She gave Frodo something to help him find his way in the utter blackness of Mordor ... but the only places dark enough to need the Phial were Shelob's Cave and the Crack of Doom ... so presumably it was for finding the way to the lava torrents, because who in their right mind would expect Frodo to go Shelob's way?

She gave Sam rope ... which she thought would help the passage of Emyn Muil, among other things ... but she gave Aragorn, Boromir, Legolas, Pippin and Merry weapons. She wanted them going to war.

Gimli's parting gift was a special case. He of all the Fellowship was least connected with the Fall of Sauron, and she wanted him to form bonds with Legolas, and with elves, so that he was willing to fight for their salvation.

Now, I don't think in playing Frodo off of Boromir, and vice versa, she intended for Boromir to die. Confrontation maybe, but the idea would be, Frodo would run off, and the rest of them would ride to war, and the return of the King to Gondor.

I have serious conspiracy theories towards Galadriel's motives ... but like she said about her mirror, it shows some things that have not yet come to pass, and don't always come to pass unless somebody turns from their path in order to prevent that.

Maybe she saw the split of the Fellowship, and decided to test the members and help prevent it, but in doing so, actually made the Fellowship divide herself. That's the problem with using things like the Mirror.

That, Downers, is my take. I hope it paints the Lady of the Wood in a whole new light.
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote