View Single Post
Old 03-15-2005, 07:17 PM   #211
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Siamak started slightly at a soft knock on his door. It was late, past the new curfew; who would be coming to see him? He stood and walked toward the door as a servant stepped inside. Her features were fearful and her eyes darted about. Once, Siamak might have thought these signs unusual, but not so anymore - going about at night was asking for trouble. Still, the girl’s purpose was clearly important.

“What is it?” he asked her softly, not wanting to rouse anyone else who might be around.

“Prince Siamak, it is the High Priestess. She is here to see you,” she answered in equally soft tones. Sure enough, there was Zamara standing in the shadows of the hallway, previously unseen by him. Surprise flicked across his face, but he hurriedly motioned her inside and closed the door behind her. “High Priestess, come in; it’s not safe to be seen in the halls at this time of night anymore.” He thought he heard her murmur, “Or anywhere else,” but he passed the comment by, knowing full well the veracity of it.

“Stay here, please,” said Siamak turning again to the servant. “We may need your service again. Your name is...?”

“Nadda, my Prince,” she answered.

“Nadda,” he repeated. “Just stay in this room here; sit down if you like. I don’t know how long this will be.” She nodded.

He turned again to Zamara. In the brighter light of his rooms, she appeared troubled, but there was a determined air about her. “Come with me,” he said, and led her into his reception room. He motioned for her to sit and sat down himself. Now, finally, he could find out about her reason for being here, at this time. She was one of those he had wanted to talk to, but this was quite unexpected, and soon. He wondered how blunt he should be. Zamara would probably be on his side, but if she was not? Treason was a deadly charge, especially now in these days of doubt.

“High Priestess,” he began, the use of her proper title intentional, “I must say, I am surprised by your visit. Very few people can get past the patrols at night.” He smiled grimly. “I am glad you did. Now, why is it you have come?”