View Single Post
Old 03-14-2005, 08:14 PM   #208
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
"I have faired well, thank you," Gjeelea replied softly, her eyes on Arshalous' hand where it rested upon Hababa's. "I have faired better than many in these past six months. How have you been, Arshalous? I have not seen you in a while, I know, though I can guess how the state of your home has changed."

The princess did not quite listen to whatever reply Arshalous gave her. Her eyes met the noble woman's, and from time to time as the lady spoke Gjeelea would nod. However, behind the nonchalant gaze Gjeelea pondered many things. How long would it take for change to come? What would happen if everyone who could change things did nothing? What could be done to change the state of Pashtia as it stood? What would Lord Annatar in the west do if the Emissary were cast out? Could the Emissary even be beaten? These thoughts and many more flashed through Gjeelea's mind. How long could Pashtia wait for someone to take action?

After six months of fear, change, and evil, Gjeelea was no longer in the mood to wait out whatever reign the Emissary had over her father. She knew she could not be the only one willing to do something - anything. At one point in her life, Gjeelea's only goal had been to become queen. Now that that point had long since come and gone, she wanted nothing more than her old home back.

She had grown sick of the Emissary many months before.

"Arshalous, might I speak with you in private?" Gjeelea suddenly asked. Arshalous cocked one brow. "There were matters I had wished to discuss with you long ago. I had forgotten since the last time I saw you. Now seems as good a time as any, do you agree?"

"Certainly," Arshalous agreed, her gaze perplexed and her voice uncertain.

The two women walked into a back hallway, one that, as Gjeelea had learned in her many visits, led to the kitchen. Arshalous opened her mouth to speak, to question, but Gjeelea lifted a finger to her own lips to signify silence.

"Arshalous," Gjeelea said quietly, solemnly. "Answer me one question, please?" Arshalous nodded slowly, suspicion and curiosity in her eyes. "Do you trust the Emissary?"

Gjeelea hoped that Arshalous' answer would be the one she was looking for. The princess had, for many years, made social maneuvers and shifted courtly actions. Now was the time, she knew, to initiate another change. This change, however, required help. Gjeelea hoped Arshalous would be able to help. After this inquiry, Gjeelea wanted to go to the palace, and find others that she knew would help her in her plans.