Thread: If he knew..
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2005, 02:55 PM   #23
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eruanna
Also, in the scene where Pippin goes off to Minas Tirith with Gandalf, Merry is very concerned that Pip is smoking too much. Surely a sign that smoking too much weed is detrimental to one's health?
Quote:
Originally Posted by elronds_daughter
As to 'anti-smoking propoganda' in the movies (such as the afore-mentioned scene), there is (in the RotK EE) a scene where Gandalf is smoking and coughing. The same scene, I might add, is in the theatrical version as well, but the cough is absent.
All this time I've been thinking about how pleasantly surprised I was that the references to smoking weren't cut from the films, and it turns out that there were sneaky anti-smoking references in there! I'm genuinely disappointed.

As a smoker, and one who tries to be considerate, I find some refuge in LotR, where there is a world where tobacco can be smoked in peace and comfort, and where it seemingly does no harm (the holy grail of smokers must be non-harmful tobacco ). I suppose it is to be expected that the films had to include something about the harmful effects of smoking, but all the same I'm disappointed.

'Weed' is still a word used for tobacco, though it isn't as common as it once was, possibly due to the drug references. I have never thought the Hobbits smoked anything worse than tobacco, but it's not surprising this got picked up on as LotR grew so strongly in popularity in the late 60's and the fabled (exaggerated?) hippy drug culture. But isn't this a later slang term? I believe it would have gone under the name 'pot' back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makar
Although I do like Gandalf's "before you knock it, try it first" (to paraphrase) line to Saruman in UT.
But kids, don't take Gandalf's words too literally...