View Single Post
Old 02-23-2005, 01:01 PM   #34
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
I do think, regardless of whether the whole situation is looked up as funny or as a cruel joke, and whether we can throw back our heads and laugh or feel rather indignant that our hearts have been played with in such a callous fashion, the most important thing is that Crystal Heart is not dead. To say the least, it wasn't a very considerate thing of her sister to do, telling us that she was dead, but isn't it preferable that her sister do something so cruel, rather than actually have what she said be the truth? I know I'm much happier to know that it was a 'joke' and I made myself look rather silly by posting here with my condolences, than to have my words be appropriate for the situation and find Crystal Heart, in reality, dead. I prefer that her sister played such a 'joke,' rather than the rest of her family actually suffering because their young daughter was dead (though, naturally, I would have preferred that Crystal Heart never 'died' in the first place).

I feel indignant that such a cruel 'joke,' could be played, and I, like a few others, find absolutely no humour in that situation. I was deeply grieved at the news of Crystal's 'death,' and many here were better acquainted with her than I was. I can only imagine how they must have felt. I think it's stating it mildly to say that the joke was in very bad taste.

I can find something to laugh about in the fact that I made myself slightly foolish by posting my regrets, for it's either laugh about that or hide in a dark hole, cringing with embarrassment. As Mr. Saucepan said, it's not ridiculous of us to fall for it, but I feel slightly ridiculous all the same... and I choose to laugh at myself (though I cannot and will not laugh at the instance which gave me cause to laugh at myself).

But over all other feelings, I experience one of deep relief that Crystal isn't dead, and that we have her, and more importantly her family has her, for some time yet. And I think that is very proper.