View Single Post
Old 02-23-2005, 12:56 PM   #1395
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Garen LiLorian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Garen LiLorian
Week one

And now I have been out on the open road for a whole week! Such a short time it seems!
Day 2
The rain continued today, albeit with furor somewhat abated. Despite protests from one or two of my younger companions, we decided to make the best of it and continued on. It was nearly midday before the clouds parted, but the sight of a gorgeous rainbow, leaping from the crest of a hill far to our right and spanning the whole length of the sky before disappearing behind the horizon, more than made up for our muddy feet and wet hair. The day was warm even during the rain and now the sun promised to turn the afternoon hot. We have not made very good time today; stopping several times for snacks and rests for the comfort of our younger friends. The afternoon had barely began to stretch towards evening when we halted our day's march. We have only made four miles today, but such is the price for traveling with children. Their laughter and gamboling play throughout the day makes such a price easy and looked forward to.
Day 3
I am alone today; My friends have opted to stay the day in camp and take a cart to catch me up in the afternoon. I shall miss their merry companionship, but it does mean that I shall be able to make better time. The day is fine and clear, a cool breeze out of the East caresses my brow from time to time. From time to time I can see small woods from the Road, and each time I want to leap from the stolid and dusty trail to go bounding through the forests. I am longing today for the more wild country, the 'pleasure in the pathless woods, the rapture on the lonely shore' and for the first time I am looking forward to leaving the Shire. I have set an end for today's march; I shall not rest until I reach the firwood some seven miles out.
Days 4 & 5
These days run together; there is not much to distinguish one from the other. I have been rejoined by my companions, and we have been walking easily along the road; only making a few miles a day. At the end of the second day we are treated to the view of Woody End, with the river looking small and faint in the distance. I always love looking out at the horizon, marking a point on it. It never ceases to amaze me when, a few hours or days later, I stand at that point I marked, looking out at an entirely new horizon, or back at (perhaps) the exact spot I stood at such a short time ago, making plans. It is perhaps the closest thing to time travel that I will ever know.
Day 6
A feeling of adventure overtakes me as I set out this morning. I do not know from where it comes, but the road ahead of me looks strange and exciting. Bilbo's words echo in my ears; It's a dangerous buisness, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to. Do you realize that this is the very path that goes through Mirkwood, and that if you let it, it might take you to the Lonely Mountain or even further and to worse places?
It is only three miles before I come to the spot of adventure; A large tree overhangs the road, and my feelings of excitement turn to apprehension. The sound of horse hooves can be heard around the bend, and I am barely off the trail when a large horse comes careening around the corner, passing within a foot of where I stand, shielded by the tree. I catch but the most fleeting glimpse of the beasts' rider; I cannot see his face. I do not think that he saw me, for he offered no apology for nearly ending my adventure tragically, but was soon out of sight along the trail.

-Garen

Note; This last part is true. I couldn't have been more than half a mile from where Frodo spotted his first Nazgul when I was nearly run down by a man on a gigantic horse. My first adventure!
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Garen LiLorian is offline   Reply With Quote