View Single Post
Old 02-20-2005, 01:28 AM   #8
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Wonderful posts, everyone. The first time I read this chapter, I thought only that it contained a dialogue of great substance between the two Wizards. I was deeply moved by the eloquently expressive words; I can almost hear them saying the words themselves complete with feelings. Through your posts I was able to see that there's a certain sadness that envelopes their speech.

It is very interesting that in this chapter, Saruman has used all the weapons he can grasp as he is backed into a corner. As an animal is most dangerous when trapped, Saruman has shown the full extent of the power of his words, not to mention his voice. His speech mirrored that which the devil uses; in this chapter, three weapons in the devil's arsenal are utilized by Saruman -- showing himself to be the Prince of lies.

First off is temptation, wherein the devil offers something we may possibly need or want that we are not sure he can really give, so that he can subtly get something else he wants.
Quote:
Despite the injuries that have been done to me, in which the men of Rohan, alas! have had some part, still I would save you, and deliver you from the ruin that draws nigh inevitably, if you ride upon this road which you have taken. Indeed I alone can aid you now.
But now that his army has been defeated in Helm's Deep, and Orthanc destroyed by the Ents, what aid can he really give, as Eomer later points out? We are not sure what exactly, but Saruman has something to gain from Rohan if the king agrees to his offer. But Gimli, of all those who were present, saw through the tempting words and openly exposed Saruman's lies. Saruman makes his offer a second time, now making his intentions clearer:
Quote:
Will you have peace with me, and all the aid that my knowledge, founded in long years, can bring? Shall we make our counsels together against evil days, and repair our injuries with such good will that our estates shall both come to fairer flower than ever before?
There is no doubt that these words are far more appealing than those that preceded them. You can almost see Theoden staring at a distance, seeing Saruman's words come true in his mind in full detail. That's why it is someone closer to him that offers the king another point of view this time. Eomer bid him come back to reality and remember the hurts Saruman had caused him. For one last time Saruman offers peace and friendship, and with a good choice of words (and timing) Theoden voices out his refusal and awareness of Saruman's desperate lies.
Quote:
You hold out your hand to me, and I perceive only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold!
But Saruman does not stop with Theoden. Deeming the Men hopeless and undeserving of his offer, he turns to Gandalf.
Quote:
But you, Gandalf! For you at least I am grieved, feeling your shame. How comes it that you can endure such company? For you are proud Gandalf -- and not without reason, having a noble mind and eyes that look both deep and far. Even now will you not listen to my counsel?
With these words, Saruman exerted such a great effort for it was no mere Man he was tempting. With his offer of friendship and counsel comes the choice for Gandalf to forsake his task the way Saruman did. It came as a surprise to the Men around, even to Theoden, that Gandalf declined.

Deception is the second weapon Saruman has used. This is evident in his voice, as the chapter describes (I will not anymore quote it). From the way he speaks, you would think he is the victim in the whole ordeal, when in reality he is the antagonist. Subtly he forces the people listening to look away from the truth that he is cruel, and thrusts to their faces the lie that he is kind and forgiving.

Finally, when he could not get his way in either methods, he goes to Plan C: accusation. He made the house of Eorl responsible for the destruction they might face for refusing him. He accused Eomer of having a poisoned tongue. He accused even the Ents: "...that which help you cannot count on again. You may find the Shadow of the Wood at your own door next: it is wayward, and senseless, and has no love for Men." He accused Gandalf of having intentions like his own. And he accused everyone of being "cut-throats and small rag-tag" that dangle at Gandalf's tail. These words are supposed to produce doubt in each heart that leads to dissension, as well as condemnation. But in the end, Saruman still did not succeed.

One thing I realized from this chapter is that just like Gandalf and the rest, I face a similar battle everyday with evil. These same weapons are being used against me, day after day after day. But the question for me is, will I be faint of heart like the Rohirrim? Or will I see through these lies and emerge victorious, like Gandalf did?

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 02-25-2005 at 05:48 AM.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote