View Single Post
Old 02-18-2005, 09:14 PM   #1394
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Farewell Elessar...

We continue our homeward journey, and one-by-one our companions are left behind. At Edoras, we laid Théoden to rest and celebrated both the crowning of Éomer, and the betrothal of Éowyn and Faramir. They and Queen Arwen remained as the rest of our company continued to Helm's Deep and thence to Isengard.

At Isengard, we bade farewell to Legolas and Gimli, who were journeying to Fangorn Forest before returning to their own lands. Then at sunset 3 days past, we parted from Aragorn and his knights. The halflings were most grieved at this parting, particularly Frodo and Sam, even though the King has promised to return to his North Kingdom in the near future.

Our pace is still somewhat leisurely, for there is no need of haste, and we are enjoying the quiet arrival of Spring in the emptiness of Dunland. I spend a part of each day riding with the hobbits, and Elladan and Elrohir seem to enjoy their company as much as I do. In the evenings, we seven share tales and songs around the campfire, and the laughter of the small folk lighten the hearts of all our company.

The travellers now rode with more speed, and they made their way towards the Gap of Rohan; and Aragorn took leave of them at last close to that very place where Pippin had looked into the Stone of Orthanc. The Hobbits were grieved at this parting, for Aragorn had never failed them and he had been their guide through many perils.

"...the Palatķr of Orthanc the King will keep, to see what is passing in his realm, and what his servants are doing...remember, dear friends of the Shire, that my realm lies also in the North, and I shall come there one day."

...With that they parted, and it was then the time of sunset; and when after a while they turned and looked back, they saw the King of the West sitting upon his horse with his knights about him; and the falling Sun shone upon them and made all their harness to gleam like red gold, and the white mantle of Aragorn was turned to a flame. Then Aragorn took the green stone and held it up, and there came a green fire from his hand.