View Single Post
Old 02-18-2005, 07:31 PM   #62
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
This is possibly (but only possibly) my favorite track for this movie, most particularly because of the bold, inspiring rendition of the Fellowship theme. After my father began to learn the cornet - and all three younger brothers picked it up, in varying degrees of dedication - it crystallized in my mind just how much I thrill to the sound of a solo trumpet. As I've already said, the Indiana Jones soundtracks have always been my favorites. Remember what plays that theme? I think most everything John Williams writes leans on the trumpet. Likely that's why his work always grabs me. I usually have something instrumental on for background when I'm working, and invariably the clear, strong sound of the trumpet will catch my ear. It happened just today - listening to Verdi, of all things.

As a point of curiosity, what is the top note that trumpet hits? I ask for a very silly reason, but...

Once, when in the car with my father, we had this track playing. For some reason I started to sing with the trumpet. Although I've never have voice lessons, I think I'm a second soprano. (I sang six months in a choir - a good choir, which my brothers are still in, but still only six months four years ago.) I still love to sing and frequently worked out my range on the piano. Turns out I'm a decent soprano up to G (1.5 octaves above middle C). I can hit the A, but the quality and volume are emphatically not there. (Incidentally, I can also go down a full octave below middle C. It's fun - and quite amusing - to randomly sing a strong tenor during worship. )

*ahem* When I sang with the track, my voice can hit that top trumpet note well. Relatively well, for my skill at least, but I know it can't be an A. Still, it was definitely at the top of my range, so I hazard that it's that G, or possibly the F or F#. A very unscientific and subjective guess - but what do y'all think? Am I way off base?

All that aside, this is STILL one of my all-time favorite tracks.