Thread: Dumbing it down
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2005, 01:01 PM   #118
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
That irks me a little. When people praise Legolas for killing Grima, the awful baddie, that helped Saruman.
The thought came to me reading this that when I read the book, I feel sorry for Wormtongue. I couldn't stand to be around him, but I feel sorry for him when the company meets him on their way to Rivendell, and he has to continue following Saruman and receiving his abuse. Horrible as it was, I pitied Grima when Saruman tells us he killed Lotho. I can understand Gandalf's contempt for him, certainly, but I can also see how he might have wanted to throw the palantir at Saruman, and not Gandalf.

But in the movie, that was lost, I felt no pity for Grima. He became more one-dimensional. He became just an ugly traitor. He lost all elements of being a victim. We feel that he gets what he deserves at the end.