View Single Post
Old 05-14-2003, 12:41 PM   #79
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

*sighs happily* A thread after my own heart!

Quote:
As is becoming increasing well known, the rapier is not the flimsy tool of the modern sport version, nor is it used in the same flicking manner. It is longer, stronger, heavier, and involves a greater range of techniques and moves. The rapier's penetrating stabs have great reach and are very quick, particularly on the disengage. But it can still be grabbed and lacks cutting offense.
Yup. Being part of a Medieval-Renaissance re-enactment company (and having a boyfriend and a friend in the weapons selling business), I've seen enough rapiers to last me a lifetime. Not that that's a bad thing. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Rapiers are beautiful weapons. I myself prefer broadsword, but that's just me.

I can't really contribute anything else to this incredibly intelligent discussion (jeez Mr. Ferny & One Axe - such long posts! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ) except to say that love of Tolkien's works has indeed taught me to love the art of swordfighting.

~TolkienGurl
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote