View Single Post
Old 01-12-2005, 03:06 PM   #20
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

This post is directed mostly to Fordhim, and mostly at Boromir (mutters of "What a surprise ").
Quote:
This is an interesting ‘final word’ on Boromir, isn’t it? Here we have Galadriel and Gandalf both effectively weighing in on the tricky topic of Boromir and rather unambiguously stating that he “escaped” his peril in the end – he did in fact die in honour, as Aragorn said, and not as a slave to the Ring or himself.
Nice point, and of course, I agree. But what is it that actually makes Boromir die in honor, and not as a slave to the Ring? Here are some interesting finds....

One of my favorite quotes ever, in a book, comes from Heroes, byRobert Cormier. When the man who is a hometown hero, as well as a war hero, rapes a highschool girl, he says "Does one sin of mine wipe out all the good things I have done?"

I just felt like posting that because I love the quote. Now onto the question of "How is it that Boromir retains his honor?" A quick run down of the closing events....

Boromir tries to take the ring (an act of sin)
He realizes he's wrong, and rushes to defend the hobbits
In defending the hobbits, he sacrifices himself and is slain
He confesses his wrong to Aragorn, who in a way blesses him. "You have conquered!"

People are quick to jump that this is an example of Christianity, well not necessarily. It's almost to christianity (not quite), but in fact, resembles more the Norman/Anglo-Saxon theology...

It follows the Anglo-Saxon/Norman law of Compensation.

Compensation meaning, that because you have broken the law, by injuring or killing, you must compensate for those sins. Now Boromir didn't break the law, but he broke his oath to help Frodo, and did try to harm him. Now in order for his salvation he must compensate for these sins. In Anglo-Saxon culture there are two ways you can do this...

One, you must pay lots of money, and confess your crimes publicly.

Or...

You must forfeit your own life, but on top of that...you must confess your crimes, and then do an act of love to "make up" for those you have hurt (Frodo). This happens to Boromir...

He commits a crime
He sacrifices his life
He confesses to his sins
His act of love is defending Merry and Pippin.

Aragorn, the priest figure, declares that he has conquered, and "fully compensated" himself for his crimes.

To give a modern day situation, since this we can tie into our Justice System. If you break into someone's house and steals valuables. Then are caught, and found guilty in court. You first must confess/apologize for your crimes. Then there are various ways to compensate yourself, or sacrifices yourself. Whether this is jail time, community service, or payment of the valuables...etc. Until the court decides that you have been "fully compensated" for your crimes, hence the Laws of Compensation.

Last edited by Boromir88; 01-12-2005 at 03:24 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote