View Single Post
Old 01-10-2005, 01:43 PM   #39
Linnahiril Tinnufinwen
Haunting Spirit

Linnahiril Tinnufinwen has just left Hobbiton.
Most of the changes that I liked in the film were the ones that added a bit of lightheartedness to an otherwise dark story. There are too many to put down, but I speak of the ones between Merry and Pippen, Legolas and Gimli, Eowyn and Merry, Pippen and Faramir, and a few involving Gandalf.

Another change that not only did I not mind, but actually liked, was the coming of the Elves to Helm's Deep. I thought it was strange at first, but the more I thought about it, the more it grew on me. Constantly throughout the story, while I was reading the books, I expected the Elves to come and help the Men. I was rather disappointed that they didn’t, and felt that this portrayal of the Elves was rather a cold-hearted one. I understood later the whole thing about the fact that it was “Men’s turn” to take over, but I still felt that the Elves were being a bit selfish about the fact that, because they were leaving and the war did not concern them, they left Middle Earth to fend for itself. I was glad to see the Elves at Helm’s Deep, after I thought about it, because made them seem more compassionate.