View Single Post
Old 01-10-2005, 01:16 PM   #65
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Much as I would like Balrogs to have had wings, (I.e. they would look cooler) I have to say no. Among all the obvious arguing about how the Proff wrote that fateful scene in Moria, I have one view that sets it for me.

Here is my little theory of sorts.

Melkor, who we all know and love, made the Balrogs, yes? It is my reading that suggest that they were among the first creatures he... invented?.... and I do not think that had the Balrogs had wings then the appearance of Ancalagon and the flying dragons would not have been met with such fear and horror. It is my opinion that flying Balrogs would be slightly more frightening than the dragons. Also, perhaps winged creatures were a later thought of Melkors, and they were not given to another of his creatures (Unless I messed something).

However, This theory does not throw away the theory of later Balrogs having wings. Melkor could have improved on his original design. Bit I do not think he did. For surely if he did, then the armies of the elves would have been wiped out completely very early. As powerful as Balrogs were, give them wings and they are near invincible. Yes they were Mair and thus originally could change shape. But I like to think that Melkor constrained them so they could not change his own (as he may call it) perfect vision of fear.

As for winged but flightless, I think about it this way; if I were Melkor, would I waste time on wings that did not work? What would be the point?

In summery; Balrogs no wings. Wings reserved for Dragons like Ancalagon. Balrogs first thought, wings after thought.

Mind you, I could be wrong. Fell free to criticise.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 01-10-2005 at 01:25 PM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote