View Single Post
Old 01-09-2005, 01:29 PM   #18
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
To be fair to them, they insisted on coming along by virtue of their friendship with and loyalty to Frodo. And Gandalf saw that as a good reason for their inclusion.
True enough, but I rather suspect that had there been anyone else around that could have really improved the Fellowship's chances, I think they would have taken that person/people instead. Especially if Elrond was really intent on the NINE Walkers staying at that number. But the point is taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
But if this question is to be asked, should not the Hobbits also be considered? It would not be fair to say that Frodo alone is the representative of The Shire, just because he is the Ringbearer.
Personally, I think it is much the same story. Frodo and Sam are going anyway, so the Hobbits are represented, no problem.

But if you have to say that a specific hobbit is representing his race, I would say Sma rather than Frodo. If you look at Legolas, Gimli, and Aragorn and/or Boromir, they are representing their races in the Fellowship as COMPANIONS of the Ringbearer. Since Frodo is the Ringbearer, he cannot be taken as his own companion, hence Sam would seem like a logical choice as "the" representative of hobbit-kind, seeing as how Merry and Pippin were something resembling afterthoughts in the composition of the Fellowship.